Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Hola! It's Workbasket 2-943

This sheet is the usual panoply of designs and projects, there's a luncheon cloth, pillowslip, scarf, and child's garment motifs. I found out here that it dates to August 1947.

As I was extracting the morning glories from this Workbasket transfer, I thought I'd show you the "Mexican designs for luncheon cloths and napkins." The instructions recommend using "bright fiesta colours - red, green, blue, orange and turquoise". The girl is rather pretty:

I'm not sure if she's got her eyes shut in a coquettish flutter, or she's about to pass out from the weight of the fruit on her head! I've never been to Mexico, but from my impressions of the country from Stitchy World, every woman walks around with a fruit basket on her head, and every man will sing to you:

This mariachi fellow looks a bit cheesy to me!

And of course, there's always a donkey:

Alas, no chickens.
Ole!

3 comments:

floresita said...

Thank you SOOOOO much for scanning these! I've been on the hunt for Mexican patterns ever since I began collecting, so these are a real treat! I also love that donkey with the huge head! :)

Patty said...

Yay! A donkey!

Drewzel said...

I had a feeling you'd like that one Patty!